Post by john casey on Dec 31, 2016 17:43:44 GMT -5
Now that the World Of Sport special has now aired in the UK, What did you think? For me:
* It was an enjoyable show
* Not sure if it was a one off, they did a show based around a Championship (Not a trophy, they also had a Commissioner)
* They should have done a more traditional WOS show as in weight classes and rounds.
* It was refreshing that the faces were cheered and the heels booed.
* They should have done some vignettes to introduce the Wrestlers instead of them just coming out and have the commentators give character development.
* Alex Shane sounds like Rockstar Spud.
* If Davey Boy Smith JR is a babyface, don't have him enter a Battle Royal half way through.
* They did well establishing Grado and Dave Mastiff as the top face and heel.
Obviously it all depends on the ratings but it wouldn't shock me if it got a run. Hopefully it will include character development.
I also agree with the guy on the Review A Wai Christmas Special (Sorry forgot his name) that I don't get why WWE are so worried, their TV programs will not clash, WWE only tour the UK twice a year (WOS will not affect their gates) people will not stop watching WWE just because WOS is back on (If anything, WWE is more than capable of turning off viewers themselves) people are allowed to watch more than 1 Wrestling company.
It was like watching a house show, which wasn't a bad thing. It had some good video packages, some decent talents, and at least tried to generate some feel good moments. That already puts it ahead of Raw this week.
Not amazing, but not a terrible first attempt.
-great vignettes especially the ones of Johnny Saint and Rollerball Rocco. There stuff was years ahead of the game.
-well lit well spaced arena, it was a bit WCW Saturday night tapings but it fits the theme.
-very solid snug tag match
-reasonable authority figure who when told about cheating on a show that was being filmed did something about it and explained why
-weight was announced in stones
- the ring itself. The ropes were super loose and were clearly rope not cable. They were sagging badly at times.
-super choppy camera cuts to the crowd that missed moves
Post by Christian Small on Jan 1, 2017 13:18:49 GMT -5
They really sold it on "this is World of Sport" and less on the actual talent in the ring. I also didn't like them crowning a champion to switch it later on in the show, you could have done a similar story of Mastiff cheating and Grado getting revenge, Mastiff beats Grado to put him into the title match at the end of the show but because of the cheating the GM puts Grado into the battle royale which he wins and we get Grado winning to close the show. It was an enjoyable show overall, could have done without JR reading the script on camera but the in ring work & look were great. Plus with them crowning a champion I imagine they're getting more shows in the future. They also got a decent number so why not do some more.