What would you say was the biggest news story of the year from the WWE?
Here are a few quick ones:
- The NJPW 4 sign with WWE - AJ Styles Debuts at the Royal Rumble - Triple H wins WWE Championship in 2016
- Daniel Bryan retires - Shane McMahon returns
- Sting goes into the WWE Hall of Fame and officially retires - WWE finally trashes Divas Championship in favour of a new WWE Women's Championship - Chyna passes away - Samoa Joe wins the NXT Championship
- Roman Reigns fails WWE wellness policy while WWE Champion - Seth Rollins regains WWE Championship - Dean Ambrose finally wins WWE Championship - WWE Draft is announced/brand extension returns
- Randy Orton is busted open by Brock Lesnar as confusion ensues - Finn Balor wins the newly created WWE Universal Championship - Finn Balor forfeits WWE Universal Championship due to injury - Kevin Owens wins WWE Universal Championship
- AJ Styles win WWE Championship
- Goldberg returns - First ever Women's Hell in a Cell match - Women main event PPV
- Goldberg defeats Brock Lesnar in 1 minute and 26 seconds at Survivor Series
Various throughout the year:
- The Meltdown of Paige
So what was your most noteworthy thing that happened in 2016? Quite a few things happened this year, that's for sure.
Last Edit: Nov 28, 2016 18:10:02 GMT -5 by Deleted
Post by jamespascoe on Nov 29, 2016 15:05:36 GMT -5
I'd go with the NJPW four, as it's lead to an impact at Royal Rumble, nxt, a WWE title run for A.J, Nakamora at nxt, and while Gallows and Anderson haven't quite hit the heights yet it's also hopefully made NJPW look at how they structure contracts to reduce the impact of another raid.
Post by rocketking on Nov 29, 2016 15:20:10 GMT -5
Narrowing this list down, I'd say that the AJ Styles signing, brand split, Reigns suspension and Balor injury are the four that likely had the biggest impact on the product we ultimately saw on screen (NXT not included).
Using that as my main criterion, I'll say the brand split was the biggest story for now, but it could very well end up being the Styles signing in hindsight.
The Reigns suspension and Balor injury definitely changed some storylines, but quantifying how much actually changed in the big picture would just be speculation.